Plastic surgery is a surgical specialty concerned with the restoration, reconstruction, or alteration of the human body. All plastic surgery is not necessarily cosmetic; and includes many types of reconstructive surgery, craniofacial surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and the treatment of burns.
- At the UG level, students learn mostly through theory. Basic topics like burns and cleft lip palate are taught at this time.
- PG residents get the opportunity to assist in procedures and perform minor ones on their own.
- Practice-based learning is the key component of this programme. Residents are assessed daily on multiple grounds including approach, work in the emergency ward, quality of examination and how they prepare the patient for surgery.
- This rigor is matched by hands-on training, where residents get ample opportunity to work on surgical procedures for reconstruction, burns, trauma and congenital anomalies.
- Every senior resident is encouraged to present two papers at the National Conference organised by the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India.
- The department works closely with General Surgery, Surgical Oncology, Orthopedics, ENT, Ophthalmology and Dermatology. Combined cases arise along with the departments of General Medicine, Endocrinology, Neurosurgery, Accident and Emergency, Vascular Surgery and OBG.
- The department has state-of-the-art OTs, Leica microscope, pneumatic drill & cutting system along with latest microsurgery equipment.
- The department also has a burns clinic for surgery for post-burn deformity and disfigurement, pressure (bed) sores, diabetic foot, hands, genitals and elephantiasis’ of legs.
- The cosmetic clinic treats scars, white patches, rhinoplasty, facelift as well as conducts breast surgery, liposuction, body contouring, laser surgery and hair transplant.
- Hands-on workshops and regular dissection programmes are organised through the Advanced Learning Center (ALC).
Dr. Venkatesh M S
Professor & HOD
Dr. Veena P Waikar
Dr. Shanthakumar S
Dr. Kumaraswamy M
Dr. Manjunath K N
Dr. Yogesh J K